Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hello Happy, Strathfield

The uni course I'm currently doing is structured differently to most degrees, so we end up having weird, random "holidays" while all my friends (who study different things, or are at different unis) are in the midst of preparing for their mid-sem exams. One MAJOR consequence of this is that I don't have anyone to hang out with. Not that that ought to be an issue, since these holidays aren't meant to be real holidays anyway. (Can you sense my bitterness?) I've written about it before, but I have some HUGE exams coming up at the end of this year, and as far as I know, the more studious amongst us are spending these holidays with their heads burrowed in their textbooks. I should be doing the same, but each time I sit down to do anything uni-related, I always get distracted by something on the internet. And, most of the time, it's food-related. *sigh*

Choco mousse dome

Case in point - two weeks ago, I was locked in the throes of some intense preparation for my end-of-course exam. My day consisted of getting up at 6am in the morning, shovelling down breakfast (I'm one of those weird people who wake up starving), and then plonking myself down in front of my computer for the next 12 hours in a desperate attempt to cram as much knowledge as possible into my tiny brain. I know you're probably thinking, "Wow, that's some dedication you had going on!" Yeah, I wish. You see, I'd plonk myself in front of my laptop with full intentions of spending the next 12 hours studying, where as in actual fact I'd get distracted within the hour and end up stalking people on Facebook. Or reading food blogs. Or running down to the local Hello Happy bakery for "brain food" while my family is out (since my mother disapproves of my love affair with pastries. Please don't tell on me.)

New York Cheesecake

On this occasion, I purchased the choco mousse dome and a slice of the New York cheesecake. I can't remember the exact price of each, but their cakes average around $3.80 - $5.00 per serving. More expensive than the ones from Chinese/Vietnamese bakeries, but cheaper compared to the European-style ones. Quite reasonable, I suppose. The choco mousse dome was everything I hoped for - creamy, light as a cloud, sweet and chocolatey.

Cross-section of the mousse dome. Excuse the mess on my desk.

The cheesecake, on the other hand, was a major letdown, tasting very dry and crumbly from being overbaked. I was in the mood for cheesecake on that day, but if I'd been so inclined to purchase anything from bakery, I most certainly would have gone for the almond croissant. Which I don't have a picture of, but trust me when I say that it is THE BEST ALMOND CROISSANT I've ever tasted. The flaky pastry absolutely shatters when you bite into it, and the almond filling is so wonderfully creamy and nutty...must get another one sometime soon, just so I'll have pictures for this blog ;P


Hello Happy on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment